Thursday 11 August 2016

A Miss Earth Finalist in our midst!

The Gabi leaving high-school was definitely not the same Gabi I am today. Of course, who I am and what I stand for has always been a constant but the knowledge, fulfillment and growth over the past three years has been tremendous.

In 2013 I walked into Prestige Academy unsure of what I wanted to study in the upcoming year. I knew the general direction I wanted to steer myself towards but as any eighteen year old might tell you – I felt pretty clueless. I remember walking into Prestige Academy and being helped by the Marketing consultant, Jacques. In all honestly, Jacques had to be the first person to talk me into a three year commitment in just under 20 minutes. Next thing I knew my parents were asking me one-hundred-and-one questions about my thoughts on the BA Visual Communication degree I applied for and of course there I was still processing the idea myself.

Over the December holiday I managed to get my head in game.  Ready for this new adventure I began my journey in Prestige Academy on a good note. I challenged myself to engage and become involved in as much as possible – which eventually got me standing in a line to audition for Mr and Miss CAPA. Honored to be selected as a finalist I had the opportunity to spend an amazing 3 months with Mia Blom and the other 23 contestants. I made friends that I will always hold close to my heart and memories that I’ll treasure forever. It was however challenging, as any growing experience is. Juggling my academic responsibilities, Mr &Miss Capa, extra mural activities, as well as maintaining a social life was not easy. This however wasn’t new to me but the intensity was a lot greater. Through the support from lectures, family and friends I managed to pull through. Mr &Miss Capa was an experience that taught me a lot about myself. Something I recommend for any individuals looking to interact, learn and challenge themselves, as well as have fun while doing so.

I continued my studies at Prestige and managed to obtain a distinction for both first and second year. I was involved in many other activities beside varsity but learnt to prioritize and balance my life. In 2016, I came across Miss Earth South Africa, a program aimed at empowering young women to initiate a change in the community through environmental and social involvement. I was involved with Miss Earth from March 2016 and engaged in many environmental and social outreach projects – something that I was always seeking to do! Miss Earth provided me with a platform to be involved with projects that held extreme value. I was able to volunteer at shelters and children homes, plant trees in under-green communities, be involved and initiate my own clean-ups, empower those around me to do better and encourage communities to build better. Along my journey I met people of such extraordinary character. People who to this day inspire me to be the difference I want to see in the world - and this was only the beginning.

During the July holidays I had just begun my internship at an advertising and design firm in Durbanville. That same month I received the news of making the next stage as a Provincial Finalist in Miss Earth SA! This required me to end my internship slightly earlier and leave for Johannesburg where I would meet the other finalist and spend a week with the Miss Earth team. I was privileged enough to be hosted by Gold Reef City and couldn’t be more thankful for the exceptional service. We were involved with a lot of conferences, outreach programs and fun activities. Every day was jam-packed, learning, growing and challenging ourselves. One of my highlights on this trip was our visit to Soweto on Mandela Day – the entire day was enriching on so many levels. In this week I had the opportunity to interact with like-minded individuals whom shared the same views as me. Learning from each individual and at the same time building friendships that will last a life time. After the week has flown by I returned home and continued to pursue my Miss Earth journey while commencing with my internship and studies. On the 1 of August I got news that I had made the final stage as National Finalist. I was quite speechless at this incredible opportunity!

I am currently continuing my journey as National Finalist, sharing the knowledge and experiences I have gained on this journey – in hope that a change will be implemented in the lives of those around me.  Soon I will have to travel up to Johannesburg again for Gala week, where the winner will be announced. In the meanwhile I have a few environmental and social projects I am working on, continuing my internship and focusing on my last stretch of my academic year. I am truly humbled by the opportunities I have been blessed with. God is good, and through Him I believe we are all capable of anything we set our minds to. I have the greatest appreciation for my parents, friends, family, lectures and all those involved for their constant support and guidance – THANK YOU!




No comments:

Post a Comment